FYI - EU workshop on IoT standardisation and architecture

From: Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2015 17:34:57 +0000
To: Public Web of Things IG <public-wot-ig@w3.org>
I participated in the EU workshop on IoT standardisation and architecture [1] which took place in Brussels on 4th November and was co-organised by by the European Commission and the Alliance for Internet of Things Innovation (AIOTI) [2].  I presented the AIOTI WG3 report on semantic interoperability.  AIOTI has prepared a number of reports as briefing materials for the large scale IoT pilots that the European Commission is planning to start later this year, see [3]. These cover:

	• Smart living environments for ageing well
	• Smart Farming and Food Security
	• Wearables for smart ecosystems
	• Reference zones in EU cities
	• Autonomous vehicles in a connected environment

In essence, there is a general consensus on the importance of semantics and metadata for enabling interoperability across devices, platforms and application domains. W3C has an important role to play thanks to our work on the resource description framework which has been widely adopted by research projects.

[1] http://ec.europa.eu/digital-agenda/en/news/standards-and-architecture-iot-path-convergence-main-outputs-workshop-iot-standardisation-and
[2] http://ec.europa.eu/digital-agenda/en/alliance-internet-things-innovation-aioti
[3] http://ec.europa.eu/research/participants/portal/desktop/en/opportunities/h2020/topics/2223-iot-01-2016.html

—