AW: [WoT IG] to converge on WoT architecture

Hi Vlad,

I do agree that it is a valid point to demand: everything (or rather every “Thing”) has to have a URI and follow a well-defined resource architecture including the media types and interfaces.

But I do think the value point is not that this has to be HTTP/JSON only. The true value is that everything that is adhering to this agreed resource model and is connected on OSI layer 4+ is then interoperable.

Following your example from the PDF: it’s nice and valid that you can connect them on the “Cream layer”, i.e. have some application somewhere on the web that gets notified from the cloud API of my light-switch vendor so that it can send a request to the cloud of my lamp vendor to switch it on.

But I think it is aiming too short. What if the startup that runs the service gets out of business? Or changes TOS?

We need Thing-to-Thing. I want my lightswitch to talk with my lamp. And it’s a fact that you cannot run HTTP on a low-footprint device. Running e.g. CoAP should not exclude it from adhering to the same model.

Even if one of them speaks natively HTTP and the other  a non-HTTP protocol (let’s call it “Foo”), I know that it is adhering to the resource model (or the URI points to an entity representing the physical thing that does) and all I need is a dumb adapter Foo-to-HTTP (which needs to to nothing more than protocol translation) and  I can interoperate them. Same adaptor can enable my browser/smartphone/… to talk with it.

So no problem with defining/designing for HTTP/JSON, but I would not restrict it to just that.

IMO the key value is, as you mentioned, to have a consistent developer experience. This is not based in using HTTP, but in having a commonly used resource model. For that we have to show this essential model and how to map this very same resource model including media types (=data structures) and interactions also to other protocols.

--Johannes