[IG-SP] Minutes of the conf call on Thurs, July 16

Hi,

there was nobody familiar with the IRC system in the security and privacy (short: SP) call on July 16. So we took a shortcut and I will provide a freestyle memo below. In case there are changes or additions please let me know. After green light I will provide that in a (new) section of the WoT IG Wiki for SP

Date: Thurs July 16, 0:00 - 1:00 UTC / 2:00 - 3:00 CEST / 17:00 - 18:00 PDT (-1d) / 9:00 - 10:00 JST

Agenda: see below

Participants: Kathy Pink, James Lynn, Oliver Pfaff

Requirements (agenda item#2): the initial proposal of security&privacy requirement candidates<https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/Security%26Privacy_Requirements_Catalogue> is okay, no change or addition requests right now. Oliver to follow-up with a first text elaboration(should be available until F2F). This list current uses the notion of an "entity" to refer to a system actor that might be a human (represented by a user agent) or a thing/device. The F2F (here: SP breakout) shall discuss if we need to talk about a superset of thing/device and (if we do) how to collectively call these items. Also a closer discussion of SSO is needed during the F2F  (SP breakout) as this notion natively is human user-centric

Landscape (agenda item#3): the initial proposal of security&privacy framework and mechanism candidates<https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/Design-Time_Security%26Privacy_Means> is okay, no change or addition requests right now. The F2F (here: SP & Discovery) should kick-off joint discussion (brainstorming) of how to (authz) protect discovery. Currently the set of "future" SP mechanisms for IoT/WoT is IETF-centric (esp. ACE, COSE, DICE). That's valid but we also need to double-check other bodies to avoid blind spots (the joint IRTF/W3C workshop in Prague seems to be a good chance to get started here). This search shall particularly look at cryptographic and key management mechanisms

Joint IRTF/W3C workshop in Prague (agenda item#4): Among the conf call participants, Oliver will attend. The SP breakout falls into 2 portions: interactive sessions (1 and 5, see Joint IRTF T2T/W3C WoT Meeting in Prague<https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/Joint_IRTF_T2T_RG_/_W3C_WoT_IG_meeting_18-19_July_2015_in_Prague,_Czech_Republic>) and presentations (2, 3 and 4). The goals are i. surveying the current state (input from the audience), ii. inform (the audience) about the SP landscape, iii. start a discussion about "re-usables" resp. where/how SP for IoT/WoT  needs to integrate existing infrastructure and means, iv. get feedback (from the audience) about what should/might be needed or adapted in future. Obviously the success of the interactive parts depend on the involvement of the audience. We are trying to stimulate the discussion by providing some input / structure

F2F meeting in Sunnyvale (agenda item#5): Among the conf call participants, Kathy, James and Oliver will attend. HP would like to contribute a presentation as part of the agenda item "Contributions of Guests". That contribution would reflect their work on SP matters for IoT/WoT. For SP it is important to have the chance of discussing among the contributors and interested parties in SP (day 2 - breakout) as well as interacting with the TFs (day 1 - reporting and identifying joint matters, day 3 - [starting to] discuss joint matters)

AOB: there might be a rescheduling of the TF plus SP conf calls - subject to currently ongoing discussion

Best regards,

Oliver