Von: Pfaff, Oliver [mailto:oliver.pfaff@siemens.com]
Gesendet: Dienstag, 11. August 2015 08:14
An: Claes1.Nilsson@sonymobile.com; public-wot-ig@w3.org
Betreff: AW: [IG-SP] Review of Security&Privacy Requirements Catalogue

Thanks for your comments Claes!

What we can achieve here is something in style of a "vocabulary". For example take wearables (use case "Sports and Entertainment") and industrial control systems:

-          Both may be part of WoT systems/solutions/products - according my understanding of WoT

-          Privacy is of paramount interest for wearables but de facto irrelevant for industrial control systems

So the final determination of the relevance of a specific security/privacy requirement e.g. 'informational self-determination' in WoT depends on the considered use case and has to be left to it.

What we can do is supporting the TFs resp. their use case descriptions by pre-selecting the items that deserve consideration and spell them out in a sound way. So per item there is:

-          A 1-liner resembling what glossaries usually state

-          Some qualifications about important aspects such as applicability to WoT (e.g. SSO) or common approaches (e.g. application vs. transport-level security)

The work on security/privacy requirements it not meant to be finished with the proposed page: we need to interact with the TFs and help them to weave our input on security/privacy requirements into their use cases

Regarding your concrete points:

-          @1: Yes we probably need some numbering scheme to have a short way of referencing

-          @2a: Goes along my thinking but I'd add some relaxation e.g.  A tangible list of the security&privacy features applicable for WoT that needs to be covered by WoT IG deliverables [such as W3C standards (existing and new)], using MUST, SHOULD and MAY vocabulary? ("total and tangible" scares me a bit as we explore new terrain)

-          @2b: That's a possible outcome of the work on the security/privacy landscape in my eyes. I would not see this as an outcome of the work on security/privacy requirements only

Best regards,

Oliver