Re: Welcome to public-wiki-dev@w3.org, Introduction

On Donnerstag, 18. Oktober 2007, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
> So Markus,
>
> How do I set things up so I can, e.g. write a small OWL ontology on a
> wiki page, add some notes whether I expect it to be consistent or
> inconsistent, which, if any classes should be unsatisfiable, which
> instances should be checked to see whether they are classified as a
> specified type, etc.  and then write a sparql query to pull all this
> information out?

SMW uses OWL as an export format, but not for input (wikis are meant to be
simple, and most of our users do not even know what OWL or RDF are). As of
today, the technical and methodological issues of collaboratively editing and
reasoning with OWL ontologies in a distributed online environment remain
largely unsolved. It will probably take some time until reasoning with very
expressive OWL ontologies will work in knowledge bases of Wikipedia's size
(SMW's main target application). Maybe the tractable fragments as discussed
in the context of OWL1.1 could improve OWL support for applications like SMW.

What SMW currently supports are ABox annotations of various datatypes, classes
and class hierarchies, property hierarchies, some forms of equality
reasoning, and structured queries that can be described with OWL class
expressions. All its reasoning operations are of polynomial time complexity.

I am of course supporting the use of SMW, and enabling it certainly cannot
hurt (at least if you use the current SMW1.0-RC1). But SMW cannot change
MediaWiki's main usage as a tool for simple information collection. SMW can
eliminate some redundancy in the wiki, and of course it can export some wiki
content as OWL (which is kind of neat for an OWL WG ;). But if we also want
an online ontology editor, some other tool would still be needed.

-- Markus