De : RAES Serge RD-PIV-ISS
Envoyé : mercredi 5 octobre 2011 19:44
À : Rigo Wenning
Objet : RE: Next meeting 6 Oct 2pm EDT 20:00 CEST

Dear Rigo,

A modest contribution for the meeting tomorrow.

On our side, we found this patent application that we consider as technological background.
http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/biblio?DB=EPODOC&II=0&adjacent=true&locale=en_EP&FT=D&date=20040422&CC=US&NR=2004075683A1&KC=A1

The above patent has since been granted in the US and CN. While the patent claim refer to database, it is clearly indicated in the Description that "database" may be replaced by any application.

On the other hand, it should be observed (but this may not be conclusive) that the Apple patent application US7743336 followed 3 provisional US applications, within the 1 year priority delay, but no foreign counterpart was ever filed elsewhere for this patent which was finally granted on 22/06/2010 in the US only: this might indicate that Apple could have disclosed the invention in the meantime, did not benefit from similar provisional application outside the US and therefore could not file a patent outside the US for the same invention.

It should also be observed that the 3 provisional US applications served as the basis for about 57 patent applications in various countries.

Best regards,

Serge RAES,
Standards & Intellectual Property Manager France Telecom OLNC/R&D/PIV/COPIN Room IB 313T 38/40, rue du General Leclerc
F-92794 Issy Les Moulineaux CEDEX 9
France
Tel: +33 (0)1 4529 6007
Fax: +33 (0)1 4529 5126