Re: Call for participation: Online meeting on Gesture Events Standard in Web

Yeah.  From my perspective, what I said about this back in my Google I/O
talk in 2013 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DujfpXOKUp8> (and got the
most applause in the talk for) is still true: this is an area that:

1) We seem unlikely to be able to get broad interop on - both Microsoft and
Apple have consistently said they're unwilling to participate in any
standardization effort in this space for IPR reasons.  In particular,
support on iOS is critical to wide adoption of any touch-focused feature,
and we usually don't ship features
<https://www.chromium.org/blink#new-features> in chromium which aren't on a
plausible path to eventually being interoperable across all browsers.

2) There's (almost*) nothing that a built-in browser API could do here that
a great JavaScript library couldn't. So the value of a W3C spec and
built-in browser implementations isn't that high compared to the
alternative of one widely adopted high-quality gesture library.

So personally I'd expect focusing on building and driving adoption of a
high-quality library/polyfill to be much higher impact (for the laudable
goal of "merging web and mobile apps") than investing in a specification or
browser implementations.

Though if we were to do that, perhaps the fasted path to broad adoption
would be to focus on the existing gesture API shipped by Safari?  If there
was a spec for this API, broad adoption of the API (via polyfill and/or
native Safari-only API), and at least one other engine (Gecko?) interested
in implementing it then I wouldn't be surprised to see implementation
interest from chromium as well (as for touch events in the first place).
In comparison, getting broad adoption for an entirely new API like the one
proposed here seems much harder to me...

But I'm no longer the lead of the chrome input team, so my opinion here
shouldn't count for much in this debate.  +Navid.

Rick

* There are exceptions which should perhaps not be ignored - eg. a page
reliably handing pinch gestures that occur where one finger is inside an
iframe and the other is not.