Re: [whatwg] Media query for bandwidth ??

From: Nils Dagsson Moskopp <nils@dieweltistgarnichtso.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2017 16:44:00 +0200
To: "Michael A. Peters" <mpeters@domblogger.net>, whatwg@lists.whatwg.org
"Michael A. Peters" <mpeters@domblogger.net> writes:

> […]
>
> The small increase in CSS file size doesn't matter with high bandwidth
> clients and is justified for low-bandwidth as it reduces the content
> that needs to be fetched.
>
> It would be up to the client to define the device-bandwidth, web
> developers should create the CSS for high bandwidth and only have the
> alternate CSS kick in when a media query says it is low.
>
> Honestly I think low or high are the only definitions needed with low
> being the only one that a site should have conditional styles set for.

I suspect that developers that cared enough to use such a thing would be
able to create CSS that is not bloated enough to need the feature … take
advertising for example: Almost all pages become smaller without ads and
still there exists no <ad> element; incentives for advertisers to markup
advertisments on web pages do not exist. Same for tracking scripts etc..
Note that browsers contain tools to limit loading speed to e.g. UMTS/3G.

Greetings,
--
Nils Dagsson Moskopp // erlehmann
<http://dieweltistgarnichtso.net>