Re: [whatwg] Accessing local files with JavaScript portably and securely

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 11:08 AM, duanyao <duanyao@ustc.edu> wrote:
> This is really not intended. I just don't quite understand some of those
> points. For example,
> Is "the web being fundamentally linked to HTTP" just the current status of
> the industry, or
> the inherent philosiphy of the web? If the latter, some explanation or
> document would be very
> appreciated.

I suspect it's actually a little higher-level than HTTP, with that
indeed being the current state, but the web is about the exchange of
data between computers and definitely sits at a higher level of
abstraction than the particulars of the Linux or Windows file system.
It's hard to define concretely I think, but being platform-independent
and having data addressable from anywhere are important principles.

> Doesn't file: protocol also abstract away much of the file system? What
> parts make it a bad abstraction?
> You mentioned casing and unicode normalization.

File URLs (it's not a protocol really) are still fundamentally tied to
the file system, including how it's hierarchical and such. And then
indeed there's all the legacy implications of file URLs.

> I'm not particularly eager to write access myself. Maybe we can seperately
> discuss read and write cases.

I already pointed to https://wicg.github.io/entries-api/ as a way to
get access to a directory of files and <input type=file> as a way to
get access to a sequence of files. Both for read access. I haven't
seen any interest to go beyond that.

--
https://annevankesteren.nl/