Re: [whatwg] Accessing local files with JavaScript portably and securely

David: Agreed.

Shall we start to think on the native modern browsers, desktops ( which
are integrated with the DOM, as much as I have perceived ) TouchScreen,
connected to the web, and ASF or other networks  (IoT comes to mind) ?

A modern DOM update version of the known trick

[autorun]
shellexecute=path\to\htmlfile.html

will be of use.

Kind regards

---

Delfi Ramirez -- At Work

My digital signature [1]

0034 633 589231
 delfin@segonquart.net [2]

twitter: @delfinramirez [3]
 IRC: segonquart
 Skype: segonquart [4]

http://segonquart.net

http://delfiramirez.info
 [5]

On 2017-04-11 18:46, David Kendal wrote:

> On 11 Apr 2017, at 17:01, Domenic Denicola <d@domenic.me> wrote:
>
>> Bingo. This mailing list is for developing technology for the world
>> wide web, not for peoples' local computers.
>
> The World Wide Web includes peoples' own computers. file:// is a URI
> scheme for exactly that reason. Every browser since WorldWideWeb.app
> for the NeXT has supported it, and every browser will support it
> forever, I hope. (Until it gets the <ISINDEX> treatment, I suppose,
> since the current generation of web standards writers seem to regard
> the idea of platform stability with extreme contempt.)
>
> You cannot escape this simply by redefining what you consider 'the web'
> to be.
>
> (file:// is even 'world wide', to some extent. On computers with AFS
> installed, all URIs beginning with file:///afs/ will always resolve to
> the exact same files.)
>
> --
> dpk (David P. Kendal) · Nassauische Str. 36, 10717 DE · http://dpk.io/
> If one meets a powerful person [...] one can ask five questions: what
> power do you have; where did you get it; in whose interests do you
> exercise it; to whom are you accountable; and, how can we get rid of
> you? Anyone who cannot answer the last of those questions does not
> live in a democratic system. -- Tony Benn, Commons deb., 16 Nov. 1998

Links:
------
[1] http://delfiramirez.info/public/dr_public_key.asc
[2] mail:%20delfin@segonquart.net