Re: [whatwg] VIDEO and pitchAdjustment

From: Jer Noble <jer.noble@apple.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2016 13:55:40 -0800
To: Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com>
Cc: Eric Carlson <eric.carlson@apple.com>, WHAT Working Group <whatwg@lists.whatwg.org>, Michael Enright <mike@kmcardiff.com>, Domenic Denicola <d@domenic.me>, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com>, "robert@ocallahan.org" <robert@ocallahan.org>

> On Mar 1, 2016, at 8:00 PM, Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 9:19 AM, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 11:32 AM, Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com> wrote:

>>> Two things.
>>>
>>> 1. Do the underlying media frameworks that browsers are using support
>>> arbitrary pitch changes, or do they also only have the limited
>>> preservesPitch-style API?
>>
>> Are there any problems getting in the way of pitch adjustment (without
>> depending on playbackRate)?
>
> I don't know, that was basically my question too. If the underlying
> APIs don't support it, that's a problem that needs to be fixed first.

There are no such APIs on OS X which would allow an arbitrary pitch shift to be added to an otherwise normally playing piece of audio.

IMO, this is a more appropriate request for the Web Audio API (adding a Audio Node which can add an arbitrary amount of pitch shift).  At which point, there would be no need for this in HTMLMediaElement, as authors could make a simple node graph consisting of an MediaElementAudioSourceNode and a PitchShiftNode.

-Jer