Re: [whatwg] Multimedia quality conformance

From: whatwg [mailto:whatwg-bounces@lists.whatwg.org] On Behalf Of Satyanarayana N

> Is there any provision available for checking the quality of media elements
> such as audio/video/image before sending it to remote server in web audio
> API or getUserMedia API or pasting it on canvas element.
>
> Scenario:
>
> Now web is being used as a tool in social networking/educational sites and
> everywhere. Lots of multimedia content is being uploaded by every one.
>
> Assume that I am trying to show a video to others by uploading it on to
> remote server. However, if the video/image suffers from impairments such
> as blurness/blockiness etc., and audio element has some noise, the user
> would be uncomfortable with such material. Instead if there is provision
> which gives various options to the developer to allow/disallow uploading of
> media elements based on its impairment level would result in better user
> experience.
>
> Requirement:
>
> 1)The multimedia content should be allowed/disallowed/show a message for
> uploading based on criteria set by the developer w.r.t the
> video/audio/content quality/impairment level.

Thanks for clearly outlining the problem statement. I think the best solution for you is going to be performing whatever quality inspection is appropriate for your site manually, rather than trying to bake some specific idea of "good quality" into the specs and browsers. I think it will be highly dependent on the specific site to determine what videos it considers acceptable.