Re: [whatwg] proposal for new <input> inputmode: digits

From: Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2016 15:10:23 -0700
To: Nils Dagsson Moskopp <nils@dieweltistgarnichtso.net>
Cc: "whatwg@whatwg.org" <whatwg@whatwg.org>
On 25 July 2016 at 14:59, Nils Dagsson Moskopp <
nils@dieweltistgarnichtso.net> wrote:

> Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com> writes:
> > See also the remainder of my email.
>
> I do not understand. What do you mean?

Please re-read the original email of the thread.

I am arguing that *neither*
<input type="text" pattern="\d*" />
nor
<input type="number" .... />
are correct.

While I could understand a keyboard which only allows "allowed tokens" this
is entirely infeasible given modern regular expressions are Turing
complete. In fact, they are infeasible even as DFAs considering valid
values depend on future input.

There is room for a "digits only" inputmode which is *already* a mode
supported by some mobile browsers. I'd only like to make this explicit and
non-magical.

--
Eitan Adler