Re: [whatwg] Media query for bandwidth ??

So, if this were to get in it is magically up to users to know to go change
the settings (most don't) to get different modes. That is bad design. We
need to handle things for users in this situation. Not do something and
hope they pay attention.

If you're suggesting a feature that requires browser settings explicit for
it, rethink it.

JavaScript handling let's you do exactly what you want. Let the most
performance oriented solution be your default and enhance on top of that
after load. There are other things coming for fonts, like the font loading
API, to help make funny transitioning seamless.

Browsers are handling things like data saver modes to let users opt in to
certain things on their end. Overall, introducing media queries based on
the network is a bad design.