Re: [whatwg] JavaScript Hovers and Back Button

> On Apr 14, 2016, at 10:38 AM, Arvind Nigam <arvind.nigam@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I wish to add that this issue is a bit more annoying on mobile: both on
> iPad and iPhone.
>
> Once the webpage loads, it goes into a JS invoked confirm/ok modal that
> would not relent -- not without seeking credit card info or something else
> to let you off the hook. The site that I saw today was somehow phishing a
> *.gov url too, using serious/ even scary warnings with quotes from Federal
> Law / websites... :-)
>
> The only way out then was to delete the browser from my iPad and reinstall
> it clean.

The problem you describe above was addressed by Apple in iOS 9.3 and also in Safari 9.1 on Mac. That release changed the style of JavaScript alerts so that they are less likely to appear to come from Safari, the operating system, or Apple. They look more like part of a webpage, and no longer interfere with closing a tab or webpage, using the back button to leave the webpage, or using the smart search field to enter a new search or website address.

I don’t think that’s the same topic, though, as what this thread was originally about.

— Darin