Re: [whatwg] sandboxed iframe allow-auto-play

Hi Benjamin!

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 4:27 PM, Benjamin Kelly <bkelly@mozilla.com> wrote:
> Recently I was talking with a web developer who told me one of his biggest
> problems is dealing with "bad ads" that play audio/video immediately.
>
> I was wondering if we could address this use case with some changes like:
>
> 1) Change sandboxed iframes to disable audio/video playing without user
> interaction by default.
> 2) Add a new sandbox token "allow-auto-play" that permits playing without
> user interaction.

This should already be covered by
https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/browsers.html#sandboxed-automatic-features-browsing-context-flag,
right? Note that it's tied to the `allow-scripts` keyword, as running
script makes it trivial to trigger a play action.

> Ideally this would effect flash running in the iframe as well, but its
> unclear to me how feasible that is.  Still, this might be a nice step
> towards improving this use case even without flash support.

Forcing behaviors onto Flash is difficult. Note, however, that plugins
are blocked entirely inside sandboxed iframes
(https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/browsers.html#sandboxed-plugins-browsing-context-flag),
so this probably isn't an interaction we need to worry about.

-mike

--
Mike West <mkwst@google.com>, @mikewest

Google Germany GmbH, Dienerstrasse 12, 80331 München, Germany,
Registergericht und -nummer: Hamburg, HRB 86891, Sitz der
Gesellschaft: Hamburg, Geschäftsführer: Graham Law, Christine
Elizabeth Flores
(Sorry; I'm legally required to add this exciting detail to emails. Bleh.)