Re: [whatwg] MetaExtension and Dublin Core revision

>>  - The properties
>> dc.xxxx, ...
>>   are to be REMOVED
> Are they used by people? If so, it seems like it's the DC specification that
should be fixed.
It isn't the fact whether they are used or not. They are associated
with <link rel="schema.dc" href="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/">, which
is similar to a namespace declaration. Those values aren't defined in that
namespace, nobody used them at the beginning because they weren't defined.

> I'm not sure what you're saying here. Isn't the DC spec a more
appropriate place for such warnings, though?
The fact is, the first 15 DC.prefixed properties are older and listed in a
sort of legacy compatibility. It's probable that some authors have used
them in the past, when they were defined (without a proper range, es Agent,
Date, Resource, Literal, etc.), so they've been listed in the table as
well. But now a more modern and up-to-date namespace exists, defined by
the <link rel="schema.dcterms" href="http://purl.org/dc/terms/"> namespace
declaration. "Newer" authors who start using Dublin Core metadata should
use this declaration, at least if they're going to use properties in their
defined range. See
http://wiki.dublincore.org/index.php/FAQ/DC_and_DCTERMS_Namespaces

>> dcterms.collection
> Is it used by anyone?
It has no meaning for documents. It defines a datatype. If it is used, it
is used incorrectly.

>> The properties
>> dcterms.xxxx
>> are to be REMOVED
> Again, are they used by anyone?
Again, the spec says they mustn't, as they're meant to define a <link@rel>
element rather than a <meta@name>. They'd make no sense when used with a
string, they refer to a URI.

>>  + Properties whose value can reasonably be either a literal or
a non-literal surrogate should be marked with a note...
> I don't really understand this either, but it seems also like something that
should be done in the relevant spec, not the registry.
The spec defines what values are to be defined *only* by a link, while some
other properties are reasonably satisfied by a string (e.g. those in the
date range and those defined as datatype "literal"). For any other
property, the choice between a <link> or a <meta> is whether a simple
"name" is provided, rather than a URI referring to that property. E.g.
DCTERMS.description can either be a free-text account (so that a <meta> can
be used) or a graphical representation (maybe referred to with a <link>
element. All these properties are also listed in the "Existing rel values"
table at Microdata Wiki).

> Aren't these values case-insensitive?
They're commonly used capitalised.