Re: [whatwg] Proposal: Allow disabling of default scroll restoration behavior

From: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 10:16:01 +0100
To: "Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@annevk.nl>, "Jonas Sicking" <jonas@sicking.cc>
Cc: WHATWG <whatwg@whatwg.org>, japhet@chromium.org, Majid Valipour <majidvp@chromium.org>, Rick Byers <rbyers@chromium.org>
On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 21:31:51 +0100, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:

> Is this really something we should tie to the pushState/replaceState API?
>
> It seems like websites that lazily add more content as the user scroll
> down, like the facebook feed or twitter feed, might not use
> pushState/replaceState, but would still like to handle restoring
> scroll position themselves.

Yeah... also consider navigating back and forth between two different
sites/apps, without navigating within each site/app. Should they be able
to turn off scroll restore?

Is this something that should be toggled on a per-page basis or on a
per-navigation basis? If per-page, is it enough to just be able to turn it
off (i.e. not turn it on again)?

e.g.

history.restoreScroll = false;

or