Re: [whatwg] Canvas image to blob/dataurl within Worker

From: Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 00:43:11 -0700
To: Jake Archibald <jaffathecake@gmail.com>
Cc: WHATWG <whatwg@whatwg.org>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com>, robert@ocallahan.org
On 3/21/15, Jake Archibald <jaffathecake@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd rather we did that by introducing promises to HTMLCanvasElement.
> Returning a promise from toBlob is easy, making the callback arg optional
> by checking the type of the first arg is hacky but possible (and is done in
> js libs).

Overloading with optional middle arguments is hacky,

A different-named method is a better idea than in-place
transmogrification. Don't change toBlob to be overloaded, create a new
method, toBlobPromise. IMO.

In JS libs and even in canvas methods, overloading - especially with
optional middle arguments, causes problems. I went over some of the
branching complexities of that. Not all, but some (the email was
already too long and I have other things to do).

https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-whatwg-archive/2015Mar/0059.html
--
Garrett
@xkit