Re: [whatwg] Persistent and temporary storage

Janusz Majnert <j.majnert@samsung.com> writes:

> On 13.03.2015 15:01, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 2:58 PM, Janusz Majnert <j.majnert@samsung.com> wrote:
>>> The real question is why having a quota is useful?
>>
>> The reason developers want it is to know how much they can download
>> and store without getting an exception.
>>

> Which still doesn't guarantee they won't get an exception if the device
> runs out of space for whatever reason.

There exists also an issue of perverse incentives. If the browser tells
an application how much storage it can use, an application developer is
likely to try to use the maximum allowed space. This could also lead to
web apps refusing to run if an user agent does not report enough space.

One solution I know that tries to deal with that is Linux's OOM killer:
If you go over the quota, your program is likely to be eaten by a grue.

--
Nils Dagsson Moskopp // erlehmann
<http://dieweltistgarnichtso.net>