Re: [whatwg] New feature: better integration with browser find interface

From: Nils Dagsson Moskopp <nils@dieweltistgarnichtso.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 10:57:31 +0200
To: Mitar <mmitar@gmail.com>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: whatwg List <whatwg@whatwg.org>, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>, Peter Kasting <pkasting@google.com>
Mitar <mmitar@gmail.com> writes:

> Followup to this proposal. So after more than half year browsers still
> have issues searching in dynamic apps. Google Docs can still only
> intercept ctrl-f, but for people who uses menu search then does not
> work.
>
> On the other hand, sometimes it is useful to not allow search to be
> intercepted. For example, I tend to use browser search for menu in
> Google Docs to search over comments sidebar, while I use ctrl-f to
> search the document content. But this cannot really be expected to be
> clear to users or intuitive. A better integration of such apps with
> browsers is necessary.

To speak to the contrary: I think that “better integration” is extremely
harmful, as long as it violates user expectations. I use the keyboard a
lot (my hands hurt when I browse with a mouse) and I absolutely hate it
when websites intercept keypresses that the browser UI already uses.
Some sites – e.g. GitHub – I can navigate only without JavaScript.

--
Nils Dagsson Moskopp // erlehmann
<http://dieweltistgarnichtso.net>