Re: [whatwg] A mask="" advisory flag for <link rel=icon>

From: Benjamin Francis <bfrancis@mozilla.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 20:42:20 +0100
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Cc: WHAT Working Group <whatwg@lists.whatwg.org>
On 17 June 2015 at 20:23, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:

> Using a mask attribute in place of href would solve the compat problem
> about as well as using rel=“mask-icon”, but it seems kind of weird to me.
> It doesn’t make sense for an icon link to have both a mask and an href.

It makes sense to me, an image element can have a src attribute of
"image.jpg" and have a mask set to "mask.svg" in the mask CSS property [1].
The equivalents here are the href attribute and the mask attribute, It's
just that in your case you want to specify a solid colour to mask instead
of an image, so you would omit the href attribute.

That said, I'm not opposed to the creation of a new link relation with
option A.2 if that's what people would prefer.

Ben

1. https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/mask