Re: [whatwg] DOM Events Proposal: EventListenerOptions 'mayCancel' for improved scroll performance

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2015 11:21:01 -0700
To: Rick Byers <rbyers@chromium.org>
Cc: WHATWG <whatwg@whatwg.org>, Philip J├Ągenstedt <philipj@opera.com>, James Ross <w3c-20040125@james-ross.co.uk>
>> Speaking
>> of that, having a new function makes it an option to let mayCancel be
>> false by default, compat-wise at least.
>
> That's a good question regardless of which approach we take. Filed
> https://github.com/RByers/EventListenerOptions/issues/17

I definitely think that if we're going to have any chance of moving
significant portions of the web to have better performance, we need
things to be fast by default, and then opt-in to slower behavior.

And the more we can simply point to "these APIs are fast, use these,
those APIs are slow, don't use those" the better. It should be very
clear when you're falling off the fast path.

/ Jonas