Re: [whatwg] "resize" events on elements

Yes, please! At a minimum I'd like to see this as a custom element
lifecycle callback, but a more general resize event of some sort also seems
like it would be useful. I've wanted this the most often when working with
the canvas element.

This seems like the sort of thing that would have been proposed many times
before. Is there history here? Good reasons that we do not already have a
resize event?

If not done carefully, I fear that the introduction of a resize event will
allow infinite layout loop bugs or a more benign situation where a user
change in browser window size causes a ripple effect where many
resize-sensitive components adjust their layout, affecting other
components, and everything takes a while to settle down at the new size.

I'd also note that unlike regular events that propagate up the tree, resize
notifications need to propagate down the tree from container elements to
their children.

  David