Re: [whatwg] VIDEO and pitchAdjustment

On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 11:17 AM, Domenic Denicola  wrote:
> From:  Robert O'Callahan
>
>> According to the spec it should work, but it's very low priority for us and
>> implementing it would be very inefficient as Yay295 describes. So I don't
>> think it's going to happen in Firefox in the forseeable future.
>
> I was looking in to this yesterday and it seems like the spec places absolute no limits on playbackRate. Am I right? This seems a bit bad.
>
> If nobody is supporting negative nor has any plans to, we should at least consider throwing for negative. I guess we can leave the upper limit unspecified, unless implementations all happen to agree on one.

I have implemented video element implementations which allowed the
video to play in reverse, and scripts that ran on such implementations
that allowed the user to ask for playback in reverse. If it is thought
that browser scripts need guidance on what speeds are possible for a
given server or video, then by all means go that route.

USE CASE: Implementing things like VidiPath or in some other fashion
implementing satellte STB or cable STB UI in HTML 5.