Re: [whatwg] VIDEO and pitchAdjustment

On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 6:02 AM, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com>
wrote:

> It would be useful to have pitch adjustment for VIDEO element. There
> is playbackRate, to control playback speed — useful!* And there is
> vv.mozPreservesPitch, in Firefox, which can be set to false, so that
> pitch will adjust to the speed of the video, sort of like old analog
> gear (tapes and records).

We should standardize mozPreservesPitch. I'm embarrassed that we haven't
done so already.

Negative playbackRate, to watch videos backwards, currently crashes
> Safari 8; Firefox 40 says "not implemented". I think it would be
> entertaining for example, to watch things like cars uncrashing. Should
> this work? And if so, shouldn't audio match the video speed for
> backwards playing? I think "yes, and yes."

According to the spec it should work, but it's very low priority for us and
implementing it would be very inefficient as Yay295 describes. So I don't
think it's going to happen in Firefox in the forseeable future.

But variable pitch control it would be useful for music adjustments
> like "over the mountain",  "Black Star", "Take your Whiskey Home", all
> originally recorded at half-step detuning (A=415), none of which match
> "standard tuning" commonly used in schools, industry, etc. Recordings
> of Baroque era music often use instruments tuned lower (and also
> different scale temperment, but that is a different issue). So it
> would be nice to adjust the pitch with a `pitchAdjustment` property,
> as a double, to adjust pitch in cents.

I'd prefer to focus on making sure that Web Audio's Audio Workers are
powerful enough for Web developers to implement this themselves.

Rob
toD
rdsme,aoreseoouoto
lurpr