[whatwg] Worker requestAnimationFrame

From: Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 14:53:04 +1200
To: WHATWG <whatwg@whatwg.org>
Cc: Rick Byers <rbyers@chromium.org>
For OffscreenCanvas we need a way for a Worker to draw once per composited
frame.

I suggest we create
DedicatedWorkerGlobalScope.requestAnimationFrame(callback) that works
similarly to Window.requestAnimationFrame. To reduce latency for
applications such as VR, I'd like to run the callback after vsync and let
the compositor wait for some implementation-defined amount of time for the
callback to complete before compositing the frame; this will give the
callback a chance to finish rendering and get the results composited before
the next vsync. If the callback runs too long its updates will be applied
to some later frame.

I suggest we later extend this for worker-based control of CSS transforms
etc (i.e. "CompositorWorker").

Rob
toD
rdsme,aoreseoouoto