Re: [whatwg] Adding a property to navigator for getting device model

From: Nils Dagsson Moskopp <nils@dieweltistgarnichtso.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 09:38:51 +0200
To: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, WHAT Working Group <whatwg@whatwg.org>
Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> writes:

> In some cases websites uses the UA strings for bad reasons ("this is
> how we've always done it"), in other cases because it's literally the
> best way for them to create a good user experience for their users.

I have seen lots of the former and only some of the latter (software
downloads for a specific OS / hardware come to mind). Please list
examples of “good user experience” for which hardware is needed.

> […]
>
> I'm just suggesting that on platforms where various browsers are
> *already* exposing a device model through the UA string. That we
> expose the same information in a more easy-to-consume property in the
> DOM.
>
> My suggested name would be navigator.deviceModel
>
> Thoughts?

This would lead to yet another entry point for device
discrimination. Please do not make this easier.

--
Nils Dagsson Moskopp // erlehmann
<http://dieweltistgarnichtso.net>