Re: [whatwg] URL interop status and reference implementation demos

From: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 09:46:34 -0500
To: Domenic Denicola <d@domenic.me>
Cc: whatWG <whatwg@whatwg.org>
On 11/19/2014 09:32 AM, Domenic Denicola wrote:
> From: Sam Ruby [mailto:rubys@intertwingly.net]
>
>> Done, sort-of: https://url.spec.whatwg.org/interop/browser-results/
>
> Excellent, this is a great subset to have.
>
> I am curious what it means when "testdata" is in the "user agents with differences" column. Isn't testdata the base against which the user agents are compared?

These results compare user agents against each other.  The testdata is
provided for reference.

I am not of the opinion that the testdata should be treated as anything
other than as a proposal at this point.  Or to put it another way, if
browser behavior is converging to something other than what than what
the spec says, then perhaps it is the spec that should change.

>> Done.  https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests/pull/1402
>
> Interesting, I did not realize that testdata was part of web-platform-tests instead of the URL repo alongside all your other interop material. I wonder if we should investigate ways to centralize inside the URL repo, e.g. having whatwg/url be a submodule of w3c/web-platform-tests?

web-platform-tests is huge.  I only need a small piece.  So for now, I'm
making do with a "wget" in my Makefile, and two patch files which cover
material that hasn't yet made it upstream.

- Sam Ruby