Re: [whatwg] Proposal: toDataURL “image/png” compression control

From: Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 12:59:54 -0500
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Cc: Justin Novosad <junov@google.com>, whatwg <whatwg@lists.whatwg.org>, Nils Dagsson Moskopp <nils@dieweltistgarnichtso.net>
On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 12:46 PM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
wrote:

> On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 5:44 PM, Justin Novosad <junov@google.com> wrote:
> > The "just do it in script" argument saddens me quite a bit. :-(
>
> Agreed, however for this particular case, I'm not sure it makes much
> sense to further enshrine a synchronous API for serializing an image.

True, you'd never want to use toDataURL with a compression operation that
takes many seconds ((or even tenths of a second) to complete, and data URLs
don't make sense for large images in the first place.  It makes sense for
toBlob(), though, and having the arguments to toBlob and toDataURL be
different seems like gratuitous inconsistency.

--
Glenn Maynard