Re: [whatwg] Proposal: toDataURL “image/png” compression control

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 2:28 PM, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:

> On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 4:21 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
>
> > On 5/29/14, 5:13 PM, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> >
> >> Assembly language is inherently incompatible with the Web.
> >>

> > A SIMD API, however is not.  Under the hood, it can be implemented in
> > terms of MMX, SSE, NEON, or just by forgetting about the SIMD bit and
> > pretending like you have separate operations.  In particular, you could
> > have a SIMD API that desugars to plain JS as the default implementation
> in
> > browsers but that JITs can recognize and vectorize as they desire. This
> > sort of API will happen, for sure.
> >

> I doubt it, at least with performance competitive with native assembly.  We
> certainly shouldn't delay features while we hope for it.

You don't need to hope for it. The future is already here:
http://www.j15r.com/blog/2014/05/23/Box2d_2014_Update
asm.js will be fast on all modern browsers before this feature would ship.
As an author, I'd certainly prefer the most flexible solution that works
everywhere.