Re: [whatwg] Proposal: toDataURL “image/png” compression control

From: Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2014 16:13:54 -0500
To: Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com>
Cc: whatwg <whatwg@lists.whatwg.org>, Noel Gordon <noel.gordon@gmail.com>
On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 3:33 PM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com> wrote:

> MMX, SSE is being addressed using asm.js.

Assembly language is inherently incompatible with the Web.

We already have an API for compressing images, and "compression level" is
an ordinary input to image compressors, yet you're arguing that rather than
add the option to the API we have, we should require people to bundle their
own image compressors and write MMX assembly on the Web to make it fast.
 Sorry if I think that's a bizarre argument...

We're also just dealing with screenshots here. I doubt people are going to
> do toDataURL at 60fps.

(I hope we can all see more use cases than just screenshots.)

--
Glenn Maynard