Re: [whatwg] Proposal: navigator.cores

On 5/13/14, 10:11 AM, James Graham wrote:
> I think the problem that I have with this API is "the number of cores
> that exist" isn't obviously a good proxy for "the number of cores that
> are available". It I have N cores and am already using M cores for e.g.
> decompressing video, N-M is probably a much better estimate of the
> available resources than N.

One thing along those lines that came up in discussion of this proposal
at Mozilla: this proposal seems to assume that the UA itself is using a
very few cores.  This is a valid-ish assumption for current UAs: as long
as you have only one tab open, the UA will typically use only one core
(ignoring things like parallel JIT compilation, parallel GC, etc; I did
say "valid-ish").  But I suspect that for future UAs this will be an
outright bad assumption.  Certainly for Servo it is.

-Boris