[whatwg] APIs inside Workers

Some old e-mails regarding exposing APIs in Workers...

On Thu, 14 Mar 2013, Tobias R. wrote:

> I can see efforts in exposing canvases within a worker [1]. Does that
> mean the following APIs are exposed and available within a worker as
> well?

Since you sent that e-mail, I updated the spec to use the new "Exposed"
WebIDL annotation to say what is exposed in workers.

> - CanvasPathObject [2]

Assuming you mean Path2D, yes.

> - SVGMatrix See: Path#addPath [3]

That's up to the SVG folk, but presumably yes.

On Tue, 9 Apr 2013, Rik Cabanier wrote:

> It's unclear at this point how fonts would be resolved in the canvas
> path object.

If this did not yet get resolved, please let me know.

On Thu, 14 Mar 2013, Simon Pieters wrote:

> The new canvas proxy stuff is supposed to make canvas work in workers,
> but I don't see any normative text that makes the necesary interfaces
> and constructors actually available in workers. The spec needs to
> explicitly say that CanvasRenderingContext2D, e.g., is to be available
> in workers.

This is now done, using [Exposed=...].

On Tue, 9 Apr 2013, Rik Cabanier wrote:

> Is there a list somewhere that lists all the interfaces that are
> available to a worker?

I don't think it's listed explicitly in one place currently, no. (This
information is spread across many specs, so generating an up-to-date
list would be non-trivial.)

On Wed, 10 Apr 2013, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> We should solve this problem.  At this point we have some interface and
> prototype objects that should only appear on Window, some that should
> only appear in Workers and some that should appear both places....  I
> wonder whether it makes sense to specify in the IDL which kind the
> interface is.

This is how we ended up doing it.