Re: [whatwg] Proposal: navigator.cores

On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 9:33 PM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com> wrote:

> What do you mean?

The paper explains that fingerprinting is a problem for privacy, and here
it's being used to argue "fingerprinting is already so bad that we should
stop trying".  (I'm not saying he can't do it or that it's unethical, just
that it's unpleasant.)

On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 9:07 PM, Joe Gregorio <jcgregorio@google.com> wrote:

> Maybe we can also return their RAM, but limit it to a maximum of 640K,
> since no one will need more than that :-)
>
> I think in a few years the limit to 8 cores will look just as silly.

I'd imagine that this won't be the final version of WebKit, and that they'd
increase that number if 16 cores was average and 64 cores was on the
outside.  (At least for desktops, I'm not at all convinced that anything
like that will happen, though--high-end desktop machines have been hovering
around 4 cores with HT for years.  I think there's just not much market
demand for faster and faster CPUs like there used to be...)

That said, if I spent lots of money on a 16-core processor, then I'd be
pretty angry if this caused pages to only use half of it.

--
Glenn Maynard