Re: [whatwg] Canvas textBaseline 'middle' conflicting definition

From: Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 21:08:26 +0000
To: Justin Novosad <junov@google.com>
Cc: WHAT Working Group <whatwg@whatwg.org>

On Mar 31, 2014, at 5:06 PM, Justin Novosad <junov@google.com> wrote:

> Wow, that is confusing. How can this be fixed without breaking existing web content? Are browsers currently compliant with the canvas spec, or do they implement the CSS definition of middle?

WebKit uses the definition for Canvas. It looks like David Hyatt implemented it in WebKit for Canvas following the Canvas spec a couple of years ago. Therefore, I assume it is the same for Blink. Didn’t check Gecko.

WebKit and Blink both implement 'alignment-baseline' following the definition in SVG as well. Very unfortunate the confusion.

Greetings,
Dirk