Re: [whatwg] Bicubic filtering on context.drawImage

From: Simon Sarris <sarris@acm.org>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 16:45:34 -0400
To: Justin Novosad <junov@google.com>
Cc: WHATWG <whatwg@lists.whatwg.org>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 2:40 PM, Justin Novosad <junov@google.com> wrote:

> Yes, and if we fixed it to make it prettier, people would complain about a
> performance regression. It is impossible to make everyone happy right now.
> Would be nice to have some kind of speed versus quality hint.

As a canvas/web author (not vendor) I agree with Justin. Quality is very
important for some canvas apps (image viewers/editors), performance is very
important for others (games).

Canvas fills a lot of roles, and leaving a decision like that up to
browsers where they are forced to pick one or the other in a utility
dichotomy. I don't think it's a good thing to leave "debatable" choices up
to browser vendors. It ought to be something solved at the spec level.

Either that or end users/programmers need to get really lucky and hope all
the browsers pick a similar method, because the alternative is a
(admittedly soft) version of "This site/webapp best viewed in Netscape
Navigator".

Simon Sarris