Re: [whatwg] Canvas and Paths

From: Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 21:30:32 -0700
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: "whatwg@whatwg.org" <whatwg@whatwg.org>

>> I don't think the arguments for removing these are compelling. The
>> problems with the APIs have been addressed (e.g. there's no ambiguity in
>> the case of overlapping text), the use cases are clear (e.g. drawing text
>> around an arc or drawing a label along a line graph's line), and the API
>> now supports the constructs to do unions of fill regions.
>>

> Where is the union of fill regions specified? All I see is segments
> aggregation.

I found this in the spec:
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/the-canvas-element.html#dom-path-merge
Unfortunately, it is not enough because it doesn't let you aggregate paths
with different winding rules.

It also can't be implemented efficiently (or at all) since it relies on a
planarizer.