Re: [whatwg] new constructor method for Path2D

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2014 22:34:57 +0000 (UTC)
To: Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com>
Cc: "whatwg@whatwg.org" <whatwg@whatwg.org>
On Wed, 5 Mar 2014, Rik Cabanier wrote:

> To work around this, we could add a couple of constructor methods to the
> 2D context:
>
> Path2D createPath();
>
> Creates a new empty Path object [...]

This used to be how many Web APIs worked, but over the years we've
received enormous volumes of feedback to the effect that constructor-based
APIs are way better than factory-based APIs. Is there no way we could at
least have all the canvases within a Document in Firefox use the same
backend? It would be really unfortunate to have to use factories here to
get around an implementation detail in one browser.