Re: [whatwg] Accept header

From: Ben Maurer <ben.maurer@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 10:44:31 -0700
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Cc: WHATWG <whatwg@whatwg.org>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 1:56 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 8:43 PM, Ben Maurer <ben.maurer@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 11:35 AM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> >>  1. Expose it on a "fetch" object available from all the places that can
> >>     do fetches. (HTMLImageElement, XMLHttpRequest, StyleSheet, etc)
> >>
> >>        var img = new Image();
> >>        img.src = 'foo.png';
> >>        img.fetch.doWhateverWithTheAcceptHeader('foo');
> >
> > At what point is the fetch actually being initiated? It's possible that
> > fetch will offer some things which can be done post-request (eg,
> dynamically
> > changing the spdy priority), but the accept header may need to be
> specified
> > pre-request.
>
> Probably not before the end of the current task. The only exception to
> that is EventSource and maybe WebSocket, but they can have a
> constructor argument of sorts to make this work I guess.
>
> Otherwise you could not set attributes such as crossorigin either.

Ah, cool. If it's not already defined, it'd be great to have a clear
definition of this behavior. I could imagine it being useful for a site to
explicitly initiate the sending of the request (eg, if it was aware an
expensive JS function was about to execute).

I appreciate your guys' help in thinking out this use case.

-b