Re: [whatwg] Proposal to add website-* meta extensions

Hi Julian,

Please find my comments inline:

-----Original Message-----
From: whatwg [mailto:whatwg-bounces@lists.whatwg.org] On Behalf Of Julian Reschke
Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 3:10 PM
To: Arpita Bahuguna
Cc: whatwg@whatwg.org; Arpita Bahuguna
Subject: Re: [whatwg] Proposal to add website-* meta extensions

On 2014-07-16 11:31, Arpita Bahuguna wrote:
> Hi Julian,
>
> Thank-you for your views.
>
> Are you suggesting that we instead introduce a new link relation
> (perhaps "contact") with tel:/mailto: types for specifying these parameters?
>
> This would involve spec modification. Not sure how developers or
> browser vendors take to it.

Why would it involve a spec modification?

Currently the link types defined by the specification are: http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#linkTypes

Please correct me if I am wrong but I suspect introducing a new rel type would involve modifying the spec as well.
Adding new meta extensions however would not have any such overhead as far as I know.

> Was looking for a simpler solution that's quickly implementable.

Why is <meta> any simpler than <link>???