Re: [whatwg] Move contentEditable/isContentEditable from HTMLElement to Element?

From: Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2014 19:01:32 -0700
To: Elliott Sprehn <esprehn@chromium.org>, Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com>
Cc: whatwg <whatwg@lists.whatwg.org>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
On May 15, 2014, at 10:01 AM, Elliott Sprehn <esprehn@chromium.org> wrote:

> On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 11:21 AM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
>
>> I would feel more comfortable putting things on SVG, MathML, and HTML
>> explicitly.
>>
> I don't think we want contenteditable in SVG or MathML. Almost all of the
> operations don't make sense. What does intending in SVG do? What does
> making something italic? What happens when you hit enter? We can't just
> insert a new line in SVG, does it add some space between all the shapes?
> Where does your caret actually appear?
>
> We might want some new kind of Web Editing API, but
> contenteditable/execCommand are both pretty specific to HTML.

contenteditable isn't just for execCommand.  We could simply enable plaintext editing inside SVG text element for example.

However, I would like to know what use cases and problems Dirk is trying to solve by moving these attributes from HTMLElement to Element.  Dirk, could you elaborate on that?

- R. Niwa