Re: [whatwg] HTML spec incorrectly suggests that <br> can have its rendering changed with CSS

From: Bruno Racineux <bruno@hexanet.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 13:28:09 -0800
To: Elliott Sprehn <esprehn@gmail.com>, Daniel Holbert <dholbert@mozilla.com>
Cc: WHATWG <whatwg@whatwg.org>

On 1/28/14 1:04 AM, "Elliott Sprehn" <esprehn@gmail.com> wrote:

>Blink treats <br> (conceptually) like a subclass of Text, there's nothing
>to style because it's just a run of text with a forced break.

I'd just like to note that 'inline' styling for <br> should be allowed.

I have been using it for a long time as spacing adjustment, and
sometimes for addressing extra unwanted space with double <br> entries
from wysiwyg, with the following rule:
br { font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px; }

To my recollection such styling was/is applied in all browsers.
Not sure if line-height is considered 'styling' in those terms, but just
want to mention that historical use case of applied styling on <br>.