Re: [whatwg] 2D canvas feature proposal: text decoration

From: Justin Novosad <junov@google.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 10:18:37 -0500
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: WHAT Working Group <whatwg@whatwg.org>
On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 5:12 PM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Sep 2013, Justin Novosad wrote:
>
> > However, this is still a more or less unsolved problem despite the best
> > efforts of a large number of very smart people.  Let's not hold our
> > breaths.
>
> Well, no, let's solve it instead.

Yep, apparently there is currently a lot going on in that direction, at
least in Blink. At this point I think we can put the text decoration
proposal to rest. Ongoing efforts to accelerate the DOM seem promising, and
for use cases where that is not good enough, improved text metric support
in 2D canvas will help devs implement alternative solutions.  This feature
proposal was originally requested to us by Google Spreadsheets, but they
have since then found alternative solutions.