Re: [whatwg] Supporting more address levels in autocomplete

On Fri, 21 Feb 2014, Kevin Marks wrote:
> On 21 Feb 2014 17:03, "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> > > Those names come from vcard - if adding a new one, consider how to
> > > model it in vcard too. Note that UK addresses can have this too - eg
> > > 3 high street, Kenton, Harrow, Middlesex, UK
> >
> > That's actually a bogus UK address. I'm not sure exactly which town
> > you meant that to be in, but official UK addresses never have more
> > than two "region" levels, and usually only one (the "post town"). The
> > only time they have two is when the post town has two streets with the
> > same name.
>
> The real address, where I grew up,  was:
> 2 Melbury Road, Kenton, Harrow, Middlesex, HA3 9RA

Today, the address of that building is:

   2 Melbury Rd
   Harrow
   HA3 9RA

> Damn humans, not following specs. Actually UK addresses have a huge
> amount of leeway, as they are routed by postcode in the main (though I
> did receive a postcard addressed to "Kevin, Sidney, Cambridge" once).

The post office will deal with all kinds of stuff, sure. But Web forms
only have to accept the formal address format, which in the UK only ever
has a street, a locality (sometimes), a post town, and a post code.