Re: [whatwg] Proposal: requestBackgroundProcessing()

Since it's a peer-to-peer engine, the user acting as the server is also a
participant in the game. This means the server is also running the full
game experience with rendering and audio. The game logic is tied to rAF,
since we intend to step the world once per screen draw, including for the
player acting as a server. It looks like the server is caught between
running in the UI thread and hanging when in the background, or running in
the worker and not having a straightforward way to provide the rendering
and audio game experience for the host player.

One solution is to make web workers able to access many of the same APIs
the UI thread can, especially with WebGL, Web Audio, WebRTC and rAF. Then
it might be practical to move a full game engine in to a worker. If that is
planned, I guess there is no need for a new feature.

Ashley