Re: [whatwg] <input type=number> for year input

On Tue, 18 Feb 2014, Jonathan Watt wrote:

> > My recommendation would be to just use comma separation
>
> It would be the appropriate separator(s) for the locale in use, not
> necessarily the comma, but I'm guessing that's what you meant.

Sure.

> > for numbers greater than 9999. It doesn't help that much for
> > four-digit numbers, and years beyond four digits often _do_ have
> > commas, e.g.:
> >
> >     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_10,000_problem
> >
> > I agree that it's a bit weird (though not particularly wrong) for
> > four-digit years to have commas.
>
> Personally I think it's a bit more than a bit weird to have "Year:
> 2,014". It seems pretty ugly to me, and four digit years are going to be
> the common case.
>
> > type=number does seem appropriate for years, though.
>
> I wonder if it would be that bad to have a 'year' type to compliment the
> 'month' and 'day' types...

This has come up a few times, but so far the use cases have not been
compelling enough. This is probably the most compelling use case, but even
here, I don't know that it's that compelling.

I would be interested in hearing more about the locales where not using
separators even for four digits is bad/suboptimal. If it wasn't for those,
I would say that just not using separators for four-digit numbers would be
an easy and effective solution.