[whatwg] <input type=number> for year input

From: Jonathan Watt <jwatt@jwatt.org>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 23:09:55 +0000
To: whatwg <whatwg@lists.whatwg.org>
When implementing <input type=number> for Mozilla I decided to display the value
to the user using the grouping separator (generally the thousands separator) of
the users locale. So, for example, if the input's value is 1234 and the user's
locale is English, it is displayed to the user as "1,234".

This is causing a problem for at least media wiki, because they use <input
type=number> for year input. For example:

   https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=IRIX&action=history
   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/newbies

The question is, should I change Mozilla's implementation to stop displaying the
internal value using grouping separators, or is it wrong to use <input
type=number> for year input. I'm erring on the former, but I'd like to solicit
others' thoughts on this matter.

I should also note that I can still allow the implementation to accept input
from the user that contains grouping separators, even if when the internal value
is set/changed the visual result will be updated to a string that does not
contain grouping separators.