Re: [whatwg] Seeking clarification on sandboxed iframes and plugins (Flash, etc.)

On 12/2/14, 7:46 AM, James M. Greene wrote:
>   1. Is there any existing way or guidance for browser vendors on how to
> confirm that a plugin can be "secured" and thus allowed to be instantiated
> within a sandboxed iframe?

As far as I know, there is not.  For Gecko there definitely is not.

>   2. Is there any existing way or guidance for library/plugin developers on
> how to provide appropriate metadata to the browser in order to allow a
> plugin to be considered "secured" and thus allowed to be instantiated
> within a sandboxed iframe?

Again, as far as I know there is not.

>   3. Is this really just confusing/misleading text that may never actually
> correlate to a real implementation?

The text is intended to allow people to develop such systems if they
want to.  I don't think any current UAs particularly want to.

Note that making sure something with the API surface of Flash is
"secured" would be quite an undertaking...

-Boris