Re: [whatwg] Proposal: Wake Lock API

"Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sat, Aug 16, 2014 at 9:19 AM, Nils Dagsson Moskopp
> <nils@dieweltistgarnichtso.net> wrote:
>> […]
>>
>> Seems to me a declarative solution (like CSS) might be appropriate.
>>
>> @media screen {
>>     video:playing {
>>         wake-lock: display 15s;
>>     }
>> }
>>
>> article.recipe:target {
>>     wake-lock: display;
>> }
>
> That's not a terrible idea.

Thanks. ;)

> The CSSWG is generally hesitant to put behavior-altering things in
> CSS, but some bleed-through is fine, and this can be argued as an
> aspect of appearance.

I think compared to the “will-change“ property, a “wake-lock” property
would fare well. I do wonder, however, how the concept would translate
to different display technologies – like e-ink, which does not need a
wake lock, or physical media, which decompose after some time.

> This solves the GC and locking issues (the latter by delegating state
> management to CSS, which everyone already knows to use).

It would also make it easily possible to express logic similar to “do
not power off the screen immediately after a video is playing” in UA or
even user stylesheets in a no-nonsense and clearly interoperable way.

A CSS solution could also limit abuse if it included a “max-wake-lock”
property.

--
Nils Dagsson Moskopp // erlehmann
<http://dieweltistgarnichtso.net>